Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My First Full Day in Malawi

Tuesday, August 18th

Just before sunrise:
I am awakened by the droning of a call to morning prayer drifting from the speakers outside the nearest mosque. God's heart is breaking. There is so much spiritual and physical poverty. I don't think there is a better reminder for me than right now to pray for the lost.

Pity the nations, O our God!
Constrain the earth to come;
Send Thy victorious Word abroad,
And bring the strangers home.

8:30 a.m. Pick up the keys to my classroom from the Administration Office. Meet with the curriculum coordinator to go over a few things. My roles (starting the 24th): 7th, 8th, 9th grade math teacher, manage study hall periods, after-school tutor, mentor for the middle school girls (leading lots of Bible studies, coffee dates, frequent get-togethers at my place -- this is actually a part of my job description, and I love it!!)

9:00 a.m. Group devotions on 1 Corinthians 10:31: So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Amen!

9:30 a.m. Orientation for new faculty! We learn about the history of ABC, our internet connection, and important health issues. Time to make a trip to the clinic to pick up my malaria meds.

1:00 p.m. Lunch break -- raided Whitney's leftovers since I haven't gotten to the grocery store yet! First I have to learn how to drive stick.

2:30 p.m. New faculty has been asked to participate in a scavenger hunt at the market. We learn about Malawi currency (kwacha) and how to barter. It's culturally inappropriate to take pictures of the Malawi people without asking first. Sadly, a lot of people don't want their pictures taken.




the local meat market
women selling food at the market















basket vendors


5:00 p.m. Dinner at the Chinchens!
12:30 a.m. Time for bed! Psalm 127:2 It is vain that you rise up early, and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.

4 comments:

  1. KT,
    That sounds really exciting! And you had to go to Malawi to learn to drive stick :)
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, Daddy :)
    Other side of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is just beautiful, and these pictures are lovely as well! Thank you for keeping us posted. We love you <3

    ReplyDelete