Wednesday, September 9, 2009

In His Care

Psalm 50:10-11
For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine.

This morning I took attendance. . . Afterwards we always have a short devotional, and then I let the kids share anything on their hearts so we can carry our burdens to Jesus in prayer. I took several requests, and was just about ready to pray when I heard one of the quieter girls. "Ms. Dinwiddie?"
"Yes, Catarina?"
"Ms. Dinwiddie. . ." Her voice was so serious. "The gardener found baby hedgehogs. Could you just pray that God would take care of them while they are so little? You know, just that he would protect them while they are babies?"
This threw me off guard for just a second. I'd taken requests for the students absent because of malaria, friends who had been asked to leave the country, and now. . . baby hedgehogs?
But I had to smile.
Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. And the ravens; they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them!
Surely baby hedgehogs aren't forgotten by Him either.
So we closed our eyes and bowed our heads and we prayed for those baby hedgehogs.
We thanked God that He cares about His creation. We thanked Him for showing us that He cares about sparrows and ravens and hedgehogs because it reveals how much more He cares about His own children who are created in His image! We thanked God for the way He takes care of us - how He provides us with everything we need, because of Jesus.
Later this afternoon I was sitting at my desk, grading stacks of math problems.
"Ms. Dinwiddie?" I look up and see Catarina and her friends walking toward me. "Have you ever held a baby hedgehog?" I could honestly say I hadn't.
Within a few minutes they had carried one up to my classroom and put it in my hands.
Yes, the little hedgehog that God created and cares for.
What a great reminder that, "Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours."

6 comments:

  1. This one resonates as I,too, have received some unusual prayer requests from children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWThis is the sweetest thing ever. Our Creator is so good and merciful!
    I love the picture and must say I am quite jealous that you got to hold a baby hedgehog. I've always wanted one as a pet but they are illegal in California. Be glad, or I'd ask ya to sneak it through costums ;)
    Also, your students love you already!! You must be one pretty awesome teacher!! :D

    We love you. We miss you and are blessed by your blog!<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! A baby hedgehog! It sounds like you are having a great time! Thanks for posting updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture...it makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so encouraged by your blog. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Please please give my love (Mrs. Robbins)to the upper school girls. I miss them very much. Also, tell them that their boyfriend Elijah says hello! I am excited to follow this blog and to continue praying for the work being done through you and for you at ABC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS Yesterday I saw a book at Petsmart with the title, "How to Care for your Pet Hedgehog". No kidding!

    ReplyDelete